The year is almost over – how do you start 2016 with a new attitude and a new “look” as a leader?
Here are five suggestions for renewing your own sense of purpose and zest for leadership:
- Make a list of everything you love about leading others – start by remembering why you got into this game in the first place. Literally, make a list of all that you enjoy about being a leader. Don’t stop until you can’t think of another thing to write – then review the list carefully. Something is bound to put a smile on your face and a bounce in your step. Most of what you’ll write probably has to do with other people, and what you’re able to do for them. Cherish the opportunity to have that much of a positive impact on others.
- Find someone new to mentor – speaking of helping others, expand your network and offer to mentor someone new on your extended team, someone new to the company, or even a peer. Give away some of that knowledge and experience – for free. In the process, you might just get in touch with that cool feeling of helping others to learn and grow.
- Put your leadership to work by volunteering – in the spirit of giving away your gifts, look around the company for a project where you can volunteer your leadership services. Spring brings a lot of outdoor charity walks, clean-up projects, etc., that your company is probably getting involved in. Take a weekend and volunteer your services – either in a management capacity, or by just rolling up your sleeves and pitching in.
- Pick out 1 new thing to work on – renewal means growth. Commit this month to working on something that you know needs a little attention. There’s no time like the spring to start weeding your own garden and nurturing a little development. Old dogs really can learn new tricks, and there’s no time like the present.
- Get outside and get some sun (and some perspective) – wherever you live, on the first really nice day this month, get outside. Take an hour of your day and take a walk, or sit outside with your laptop, or take that phone call with a team member out on the terrace in back of your building. It’s true you know – life really is too short, and you need to stop and smell the roses (or the azaleas) once in awhile. Grab some outdoor time this week, during office hours – tell your manager I said it was OK!
If you don’t get a little overwhelmed this time of year, you probably need to check your pulse. Family time is awesome, but it can be a bit hectic, too. But never fear – everything truly looks better on that first warm, sunny day of the new year. Start planning your leadership renewal to coincide with the rebirth that a new calendar year presents… make 2016 your best year ever!